As a Packers fan, I'd say the Super Bowl was a success, but also as one who loves to watch the commercials, I would have to say otherwise. Although I did like Volkswagen's "The Force" I was left confused and downright flustered at some of the ads I saw last night.
As it turns out, the ads I disliked the most were all for some sort of technology, and I was not alone. According to an article on techcrunch.com, the top three disliked ads were for saleforce: chatter.com and godaddy.com. I read through the comments to see what others were saying about this topic, and I was surprised to find that even those who knew what salesforce was disliked the ads as well because they attempted to mass market a product that only a select few know about. Many thought that the shock factor of the godaddy commercials has worn off. Others thought that the ads weren't serving their purpose because people are more likely to remember the girls than the website itself.
The commercials that upset me the most were those for groupon.com, which I just blogged about the other day. I couldn't believe that they mocked real-life crises in order to market their site. One comment put it perfectly:
"These ads boil down to "the world is suffering, but who cares what happens to the world as long as I can indulge myself." Says quite a lot about the human condition."
I am sure whether people liked the ad or not, it is causing a stir and groupon.com is receiving a lot of attention for it, attention that they do not deserve after such a stunt.
http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/07/tech-super-bowl-ads-didnt-hit-home-salesforce-and-go-daddy-most-disliked/
http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/06/save-the-money-groupons-super-bowl-ads-may-spark-faux-outrage/
I am a Steelers fan, so I was sadly disappointed. I would have to disagree with you saying most of the commercials because I really enjoyed the Pepsi Max, Coca-Cola, and Doritos commercials. I will agree that I was not a fan of the Groupon commercials....They took their commercials a little far. Also, I am a huge fan of Whales (my favorite animal) so of course that Save the Whale commercial kind of upset me, but I just took most of them as a joke and not an attack.
ReplyDeleteI love super bowl commercials! And I think you should check out this writer's take on them.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stepmonster/201102/what-i-learned-about-men-the-super-bowl-commercials