Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tech Blog 5: St. Valentine's Day

For my tech blog this week, I decided to look at how technology is affecting Valentine's Day. In my experience, I think of e-cards that are passed around, online gifts or gift ideas. Personally, I find all of these very impersonal. I would prefer to have a gift that had a personal touch, or at least handwriting!

I found an article from The Telegraph, a magazine from the UK in which the author argues that technology is killing romance through text messages and emails, and as for my old-fashioned self, I agree. Who REALLY wants to get an email or text message over a handwritten note or card? Or even worse, in my opinion, who wants a Facebook post or tweet expressing your feelings?

An article by Sarah Kline says that Facebook and Twitter are "fostering a sense of “faux intimacy” among couples. All that texting and posting doesn’t teach people how to develop genuine relationships. “You let your fingers do the walking and you can forget that you need to do the talking,” "

These ways of communication are fitting for today's fast-paced world, but maybe it's time for us to slow down and celebrate our relationships in the real world.



http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/4568243/Valentines-Day-Technology-is-killing-romance.html

http://www.theonlinemom.com/secondary.asp?id=1463

No comments:

Post a Comment