In doing research for my broadcast presentation on The Case for the Virtual Classroom, I stumbled upon this site:
http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2010/05/100-inspiring-ways-to-use-social-media-in-the-classroom/
100 ways to use social media in the classroom. I find it so interesting that teachers are using these social media sites as a way to present and interpret information in the classroom. Why not let students use technology that they are so in tune with? It enables the teacher and the students to focus on the content rather than the mechanics of learning new technology. It also teaches the students to use social media sites more responsibly and constructively rather than using them to stalk their virtual friends or use the sites as an emotional vent.
Although I'm sure there are some downsides to using social media sites, such as credibility of information, and age-appropriateness, I think that if the teacher is doing her job and spending adequate preparation time with her lessons, she can find a way around these things and use the sites to make a very compelling lesson. That is, of course, provided that the school removes the firewall feature that blocks most of these sites...
No comments:
Post a Comment